There are no planned Winter 2017/2018 dates. For more information Visit Youcaring.com
This course covers all the information in a standard AIARE Level 1 Course, but uses a real backcountry ski hut for a classroom! Class sizes are smaller and more intimate in hut-based courses and you have the added advantage of being able to apply your new knowledge immediately .
The Tomichi Lodge
, located at 10,300 feet elevation, in the heart of the Colorado Rocky Mountains (west side of Monarch Pass, about 35 minute drive from Salida, CO), will be our “home base” for this 3-day course. Hut amenities include:
- Hot & cold running water
- Indoor toilets
- Limited electricity from an off grid solar/hydroelectric system
- Full kitchen
- Beds and/or cots to accommodate up to 12 people.
PLEASE NOTE: it is a 5.5 mile skin into the lodge.
Students will come away from the course having learned:
- How to prepare and plan for a backcountry tour
- How to analyze an avalanche forecast
- How to identify avalanche terrain & avalanche types
- How to recognize hazardous conditions
- Basic snow pack understanding
- Route selection/terrain features
- Snowpack tests techniques and interpretation
- Educated decision making
- Basic rescue techniques
- Group management