Located in the heart of South America, Bolivia is an unspoiled country. Its natural beauty and abundance of mountains, most of them easily accessible, is overwhelming. Huayna Potosí (19,974′ / 6,088M) is the closest high mountain to La Paz, Bolivia, a city which itself is the highest capital city in the world. The Cordillera Real (Royal Range), is Bolivia’s foremost climbing region with eight peaks rising above 6,000m.
With moderately steep terrain of snow and ice and wonderful exposure from the narrow airy summit (looking over the 3000ft. west face), climbing Huayna Potosi is a highly memorable and challenging climb for even the most seasoned alpinist.
This unique trip is designed as a 2-week long international climbing expedition, to maximize both the acclimatization process needed for climbing 6000M peaks, and to develop and build upon an alpine climbing skill set. Our first few days upon arrival will be spent acclimating to the thin air of the city streets of La Paz by walking through the famous city markets and many ancient historical markers that make any trip to La Paz special.
*Itinerary is subject to change based on weather, guide judgement, acclimatization issues or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Day 1: arrival in Bolivia. Transport from airport to city of La Paz. Stay at hotel in La Paz
- Day 2: sightseeing and acclimatization in city. Stay at hotel in La Paz
- Day 3: acclimatization hike/climb on Chacaltaya (17,700 ft); Stay at hotel in La Paz
- Day 4: transfer to Condoriri Range—–hike into base camp at Laguna Chiar Khota in afternoon
- Day 5: alpine skills climbing and rope team practice —-acclimatizing
- Day 6: —–climb (acclimatizing)—- Pyramid Grande (5230M / 17,158′)
- Day 7: —–climb (acclimatizing)—- Pequeno Alpamayo (5,370M / 17,618′)
- Day 8: rest in base camp
- Day 9: —–climb (acclimatizing)—-Cabeza de Condor (5,648M / 18,530′); Transfer back to La Paz in PM
- Day 10: rest and Relaxation in La Paz. Stay at hotel in La Paz
- Day 11: transfer to Zonga Pass refugio. Possible climb of Charquini (5,392M / 17,690′) in PM
Day 12: approach to Huayna Potosi high camp
- Day 13: —–climb (summit day)—-Huayna Potosi (6088M / 19,974′). Return to La Paz in PM
- Day 14: rest, pack, depart Bolivia in a.m.