The American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) is a 3-day, 24-hour introduction to avalanche hazards. With a mix of both classroom and field time, the focus of the course is to learn how to recognize hazards, how to manage and minimize them and finally how to respond in case of an emergency.
Students will come away from the course having learned:
- How to prepare and plan for a backcountry tour
- How to analyze an avalanche forecast
- How to identify avalanche terrain & avalanche types
- How to recognize hazardous conditions
- Basic snow pack understanding
- Route selection and terrain features
- Snowpack tests and interpretation
- Educated decision making
- Basic rescue techniques
- Group management
- Inclusions: AIARE Level 1 Course Manual, AIARE Field Book, AIARE Level 1 certificate upon successful completion of course.
- Exclusions: Lodging, food, avalanche safety gear, backcountry touring gear.
- After successful completion of the AIARE Level 1 Rec Course students can further their education with AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course and AIARE Level 2 Rec Course.
*Avalanche safety gear and backcountry touring set-ups can be rented for an additional fee.
Local Kids CHOICE PASS Program - AVALANCHE SAFETY COURSE
December 12th - 13th, 2020
$80 per person
You will discover:
• How to make decisions in the backcountry, manage avalanche hazards, ask ‘what if…’, and practice avalanche rescue using our personal rescue gear.
• How to read our daily local avalanche forecast and apply our observations to avoid the avalanche problems.
• Practice reading maps and learn how to use tools to assess slope angles, while discussing how to avoid potentially dangerous terrain.
• Practice what we learn by getting out into the backcountry and we will definitely make some fun turns in the snow!!
Please contact Emily Mirza to get registered or the IG Office with questions.
Irwin Guides is proud to partner with Ortovox!