New to the 2018/2019 season the AIARE Rec 2 course has been designed specifically to meet the needs of advanced students who have taken an AIARE Rec 1 and AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course.
The American Institute for Avalanche Safety and Education (AIARE)
Level 2 Rec is a three-day/24-hour course that provides backcountry travelers an opportunity to advance their decision making skills in more complicated situations including: leading travel in small groups, traveling in more complicated terrain, and developing travel plans with limited resources.
The AIARE Level 2 Rec builds on the introductory avalanche hazard management model introduce in the AIARE Level 1 and adds to the evaluation of critical hazard assessment factors. Students will describe and discuss weather, snowpack and avalanche process and identify how these processes relate to observations and travel within avalanche terrain.
Students can expect to learn about the following topics:
- Differentiate where specific avalanche hazards exist within the landscape and identify avalanche terrain where consequences may be more sever.
- Use and interpret weather, snow and avalanche observations to locate appropriate terrain prior to entering and while in the field.
- Demonstrate leadership skills within a small team that include facilitating small group discussion, promoting appropriate terrain selection, and utilizing simple risk management strategies.
- Implement a basic forecasting framework that can be used in conjunction with and in the absences of local supporting avalanche information.
- Inclusions: AIARE Level 2 Course Manual, AIARE Field Book, AIARE Level 2 Rec certificate upon successful completion of course.
- Exclusions: Lodging, food, avalanche safety gear, backcountry touring gear.*
- A detailed equipment list will be provided upon course registration.
- Required Reading: The Avalanche Handbook, by McClung and Schaerer**
- Suggested Reading: Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain,by Tremper
*Avalanche safety gear and backcountry touring set-ups can be rented for an additional fee.
**“The Avalanche Handbook is the official text book for the AIARE Level 2 course. Click here